Thursday, January 14, 2016

Rustic Kitchen Ideas

Over Christmas my mother in-law and I got to talking about her kitchen.  They built their home around 15 years ago and the kitchen is getting to the point that it could use a little love.  She knows how much I love planning redo's and told me I could offer any input I had.

Our tastes aren't exactly the same when it comes to house stuff, she has a slightly more rustic style than I do, so I have been giving this a lot of thought.  Some things that she has mentioned are the finish on the cabinets, the counter tops and sink, and an area they have around a prep sink.

The current finish on the cabinets is a lighter stain that almost has a pink tint.  I think they should take the finish to a more Early American kind of stain, I think that would play nicely with their wood floors and other furnishings.  And then they could clad the island in a chippy paint/reclaimed barn wood plank finish.

via
via


For the counter tops she has mentioned an interest in recycled glass.  The cooktop island has stone already so I think going with a a lighter background with some ambers and browns could be really nice, or possibly a stained concrete.  They currently have a sink with a built in drainboard  that they have talked about replacing and I think that an under-mounted sink with an integrated drainboard could suit them well.

via
via


The cabinet area around the prep sink provides a lot of storage for them, it houses their bar and specialty glassware, along with more seldom used dishes like dessert plates and cups and saucers for after dinner coffee.  She mentioned that she had been going for a furniture look with the piece and it didn't turn out exactly as she had hoped.  I think adding some feet to the base, rather than the standard recessed toe kick, would create a more freestanding appearance, along with the addition of some hardware.  I also think that painting that piece might look nice but I am partial to painted cabinets.

via
Anyway, whatever she decides to do I can't wait to see it and am so glad she has asked me for input!

No comments:

Post a Comment