Thursday, April 12, 2018

One Room Challenge - Cottage Kitchen Makeover Week 2


So, the kitchen, the only room in the house that we still haven't touched 4 years later.  That's all about to change One Room Challenge style.  The One Room Challenge, in case you don't know, is a platform following 20 bloggers and design influencers as they make over a space with 6 weekly updates.  Anyone with a blog is also welcome to link up as a guest participant, that's me.  And it is a great motivator, you have put it out there to the whole world that you are going to be making over a space, might as well get it done.  It was dreamed up but Linda, at Calling It Home, and many, many homes owe her many thanks!



This is our fifth go round at the ORC.  Our first was a complete overhaul of our laundry room, then we reworked our front porch, our son's room got an update next, and one year ago we freshened up our master bathroom.  This time the kitchen is the victim.  It's being done on a somewhat limited budget though so no gut job this time, which is fine with me as we bought the house not intending for it to need a totally brand new kitchen.

So what's happening is:

A new floor, the old vinyl is nasty, and ugly, and impossible to keep clean so tile is coming in!  Probably something like this.

via


The cabinets are staying but getting reworked and rearranged.  And then some open shelves will be joining them and everything, walls included, is getting a fresh coat of paint.  A nice, neutral gray on the walls, with white upper cabinets and shelves, and a subtle greenish grey on the lowers.

via


The range hood will be getting a makeover, as will the lighting.

via


And some overall inspiration pictures, I have a whole board of them here.

via
via
via
Add caption
via
And a little glimpse of the elements.



We have gotten a decent start so far and will keep plugging along.  In the meantime I'm going to be checking out everyone's progress!

4 comments:

  1. I love your inspiration pics! My kitchen is builder-grade horror, so hopefully I'll be inspired by your makeover to make some necessary changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugghhh. Ours has been builder grade horror for a while now! Four years into our living here and I can't take it anymore! I hope you'll blog it when you get around to yours!

      Delete
  2. Yes! Yeesssssssssssss!!! I'm so excited about this!!!! Please be sure to tell me the exact paint colors you're going to use too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about this toooooo!!!!! I will definitely share paint colors when I get some pictures of progress!

      Delete