Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Cabin Getaway

My in-laws live in a mountain community near a larger, more touristy village, and the hubs and I have played around with the idea of buying a small cabin in the vicinity for our use when we visit them and as a vacation rental for some passive income.  So every now and then I check out real estate listings in that area and dream about possibilities.  The last time I got on and looked I came across my favorite one yet and couldn't resist thinking about some aesthetic tweaks I would make.

First, the before's (all photos from Georgia MLS):











To start, I know this detracts from the cabin vibe, but I would blow out all the interior paneling with some warm white paint.  I don't feel a cabin has to feel like a cave and that would brighten things up considerably.  I wouldn't change much at all in the living room other than some new, white slip covered furnishings, I love that wood stove!

In the kitchen I would paint the lower cabinets and take all the uppers down.  I would probably take out the range and put in a base cabinet that holds a microwave and then install a cooktop.  Some open shelves above and dark stone counters and call it a day.  I'm thinking something a lot like these.

via

via

via

It looks like the bathroom has a good head start with hex tile floors.  Just painting would be easiest but a subway tiled tub enclosure would be nice too.

And that deck would be perfect for morning coffee.  It may be a pipe dream but it sure is a pretty one.

No comments:

Post a Comment