Thursday, November 30, 2017

Oh the Choices!

When we bought our first house 10 years ago I knew we would be redoing the kitchen.  And when we redid it, I planned on installing brick floors.  I had also lived in a tiny, converted garage apartment at one point which had beautiful terracotta tile floors.   I also thought about using those when we redid the kitchen.  That renovation though, ended up being far more extensive (and expensive) than we had planned and when we discovered the original wood floors under the vinyl, and it turned out to be cheaper to refinish them than install new floors of any kind, we of course went with the wood.  Fast forward to this house, and I have known all along that we are probably going to do tile here.  We are on a slab so I know we won't be discovering wood, and I think that tile is more practical than laminate in a kitchen, so we won't be continuing what we already have.  When we first moved in I was obsessed with slate herringbone, just like these:

via

via

via


Then I moved on to patterned cement, along the lines of these:

via

via

via


Those were a fleeting idea though because I worried that they were a trend and I would likely tire of them. So then I moved back to gray tile, only lighter than the slate.  Something like this, maybe in a brick pattern or maybe herringbone:

via

via

via


But just recently I came across a home for sale that had beautiful terracotta floors in the kitchen which sent me down the rabbit hole of Pinterest in search of well done, modern terracotta tile.  I was shocked to actually find a lot of examples, several by Devol kitchens, whose work we already know I love.

via

via

via


So now I am back at square one and have no clue what kind of floor I want.  I guess it's a good thing  that we don't yet have the time or the budget to start on the kitchen!  Oh, which direction should I go?

No comments:

Post a Comment